7.20.2012

Week 6

We are officially 1/3 of the way done with chemotherapy! Well, I'm rounding up a little... we just did week 6 chemo today and we have 19 total.  And, Kaelyn still has her hair! She is one lucky girl.  Though, I don't really think it would have bothered her had she lost it.  I know I would have been able to handle it too, but I am grateful that she has kept it so far.  It is still possible that she could lose it at some random time, but we will see.

Yesterday we had a couple of Make-A-Wish volunteers stop by to visit with Kaelyn and find out what her interests might be.  We filled out some paperwork while Kaelyn colored with markers.  Lucky girl.  I never let her use markers unless they are the Color Wonder kind!  We aren't entirely sure what she will be wishing for, but I'm thinking it will end up being a Disney wish since that is what she is most familiar with right now.  Disney World offers some special treatment for Make-A-Wish kids, so I'm thinking that may be where we will go.  I'm so grateful that Kaelyn has this opportunity and for the volunteers and those who donate to the foundation to make this possible.  These kids really deserve it.  I actually read a news article last night about a dad who refused to sign off on his daughter's wish to go to Disney because she "wasn't sick enough."  He said wishes should only be granted to those who have a little time left to live, to make a last memory.  That is not what Make-A-Wish wants to provide for, though.  Though those children would definitely be included, Make-A-Wish's purpose is to provide time away from treatment, where a child doesn't have to worry about their regular, every day life of doctor's visits, pokes, tests, and the lack of childhood!  I think the Make-A-Wish foundation is so awesome and again I am so grateful for them.

Kaelyn is still doing so well.  She had a  mouth sore last week, which is usually due to low blood counts.  Her CBC came back with normal results though, so I think it may have just been a large canker sore.  Next week she receives the medication again that will potentially lower her blood counts, but so far it has never gotten low enough to cause any concern, maybe just cause a little bit of tiredness, but no immunodeficiency.

I am so grateful to everyone who has let Kaelyn and us know that they care, who have given gifts or other things to help, or who have just expressed concern or offered prayers.  I don't think things could be going any better for us right now.  We are truly blessed!

I hope this isn't inappropriate.  This is Kaelyn's preferred clothing choice.
Showing off her new Make-A-Wish hat.

10 comments:

  1. I read that article too and thought it seemed weird. I'm glad she'll get to do the program! We think about you guys all the time! Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear things are going well for you guys! That is great that you get to participate in Make a Wish! We'll continue to pray for Kaelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cutie! My friend made a wish when she was young and got an in ground pool! I thought that was genius

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that things are going so well. I think about your family often. I hope all continues to go well for you:)
    Tiffany Lorash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute kid. And at least her back is modest!! I am glad she gets a wish and Im excited to see what she chooses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a little trooper! Keep up the good work Caskey Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear things are going so well! Can't wait to hear where you'll be going on 'vacation'... she DEFINITELY deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really sad for that little girl. I am glad that you guys are doing this because even if any child going through cancer and chemo may not be "sick enough" they are still going through a very traumatic experience for a child and they totally deserve it! I am glad everything is going good though and that she still has her hair!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make a wish foundation is so cool. I'm excited for her to do something really special. Love the pic! She has some sweet battle scars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you post on facebook, too! So I can keep up. I think of you and your family all the time. Kaelyn is BEAUTIFUL and her smile sure has power! It lifts everyone else up - she's incredible. I'm sure glad Heavenly Father sent her to you! You are an incredible person, too! Sending love and prayers!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete