9.06.2012

Catching Up


I suppose it's time for an update!  Let's see, I last posted about Kaelyn's shaved head.  Let me say, this girl loves it.  I hope she is OK with growing her hair back when she is done with chemo!

As far as Kaelyn's health goes (side effect wise), she is still doing really well.  The last 3 treatments she has gotten sicker than usual, with a little more nausea and vomiting and a lot of fatigue.  Also, we've really noticed the neuropathy setting in.  You can tell just by looking at Kaelyn.  You can see that her left eyelid droops a little bit.  Other neuropathies that you can't see in the picture include difficulty using her fingers and loss of balance and reflexes.  For example, a couple of weeks ago we took a trip to Utah.  We had been holding her, and we set her down because she wanted to see grandma.  She started to run, tripped, and landed face-first on the cement sidewalk without even attempting to catch herself.  Sadly that was when I first realized I needed to watch her better.  Since, I've been paranoid with slides, swings, and anything else that could pose a fall risk.  But luckily we haven't had any injuries since.  Just that one nice big bruise and scab for Durrant family pictures!




A couple of weeks ago we had routine x-rays and ultrasounds to make sure the cancer hadn't spread.  I can't remember the last time I felt so anxious.  Normally I don't have a difficult time going with the flow and trusting that everything will turn out OK.  I still knew it would be OK, but I still couldn't stop thinking about the negative possibilities.  Granted, the chance of the cancer spreading was rare.  15% chance to be exact.  So why would I be so worried about such a small number?  Because rare isn't so rare anymore.  You know, it's rare to have a child with cancer, but it doesn't seem so rare to me!  I know longer feel protected by anything prefaced by "rare."  To me, the meaning of rare has changed.  That's why I was so nervous.  That darn tiny possibility was still a possibility.  But again, we are so incredibly blessed and do not have to worry about any spreading cancer this time around!  I know that will still be a concern in the future, so hopefully I can learn to take things one day, even one minute at a time and live my life in the present instead of wasting moments fearing the future possibilities that are out of my control.

As for Isaac, our little side note, he got tubes put in his ears so we are hoping he will be a much happier camper and not have to worry about any more ear pain.  My kids make cute patients.  I won't deny it!




I still have more catching up to do.  I'll fill you on on Kaelyn's latest hospital stay in the next post.


5 comments:

  1. GEESH! I am so sorry that life is so heavy for you all! The neuropathy stuff is scary. Once chemo is over with, will she improve or get back to where she was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! In case you haven't found this answer somewhere else by now, yes, it should all go away. In fact, her chemo has been more spread out recently and already her eye is no longer drooping.

      Delete
  2. Your all such strong little fighters, love you lady.

    Got oober cuties to take pics of :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering the same thing as Gail about the neuropathy. Man that is all tough stuff :( You guys are so strong though, I'm so impressed with your positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless her little heart.Give that brave precious little girl a hug from someone who knows what she's going through.I had stage 2 hodgkins lymphoma last yr.I had 5 1/2 months of chemo and nuprigin shots to protect my bone marrow.I was nauseated,fatigued,just felt crappy.I had to shave my head and afterwards I liked having a very short buzz cut.She is so beautiful and those eyes are awesome! I also have neuropathy in my legs and ft.I take nerve meds for it.They help a lot.
    Those 2 precious babies are in my thoughts and prayers. Your whole family is too.God Bless you little angel :)

    ReplyDelete