8.07.2012

I Don't Know Why You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello!


Hello baldy!  The deed has finally been done.  As sad as it was to shave Kaelyn's head, I am actually feeling some relief today that that step has finally been taken and is over with, and most especially that Kaelyn likes it!

It was just yesterday when I noticed Kaelyn's hair was coming out much faster than before.  With every stroke of her hair, tons of strands would come out.  She kept getting hair in her mouth, and in her food, and in her gum.  She called that "hair-gum." It was bothering her so much I finally decided we should just shave it off if is annoying her and falling out anyway!  So, I called a friend to borrow some clippers and waited, and waited, and waited for Brock to get off work so we could all do it together (except Isaac. He probably would have tried to eat the hair though, so that was OK!).  In fact, as soon as we got home and brought the clippers inside Kaelyn said "Let's do it mom!"  Brock eventually got home and we finally shaved it, all together! I have to say, it was kind of a fun moment.  It was breaking my heart a little, but the fact that Kaelyn was excited about it, and liked the "tickly" clippers, certainly helped make it easier.


Before the cut, I wanted Kaelyn to be prepared.  I kept asking if she wanted "hair" like Grandpa Ernie or Grandma Susan, and she said yes.  I didn't know if she was quite grasping was she was agreeing to, so I decided to pull up some pictures of another sweet fighter of Wilm's, Kaylee.  When she saw Kaylee cute naked head she got so excited for the shave.  Thanks Kaylee for your inspiration and comfort for my daughter!  And thanks to Kaylee's mom for posting those pics.



 


Very first look in the mirror!

 Today was our first day in public without hair atop Kaelyn's head.  I was ready for just about anything, stares, looks of pity, and comments.  We didn't get too much of that though.  There was one boy, probably 8 years old, who came up to Kaelyn and rubbed her head.  So, Kaelyn rubbed his head back.  He jerked away from her, but went to rub her head again.  I said "Hey! If you can rub her head she can rub yours!"  Was that to defensive?  I said it with a smile on my face, but in all seriousness as well!  He said, "What's wrong with her.  Was she born that way?"  Well, although a lot of babies are born bald, I didn't go into that.  I just made it quick and said her medicine made her hair fall out.  And that was that!  Our first experience with strangers and Kaelyn's new do.



Kaelyn continues to rub her head, Isaac hasn't noticed a difference, and I am still catching myself forgetting she has a bald head!  I know it won't take long to get used to it.  And, I'm not gonna lie, I already love it!


All tuckered out from playing in the too hot sun and jumping in the overly muddy sprinkler puddles!

12 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful! Miss you all! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Cutest baldy that I ever did see. Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a beautiful girl. I love to see her big smile through out this trial. You guys are so strong. Keep fighting and praying

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so cute! I too love her big smile in all the pictures. You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is adorable. your family is so awesome. kiss her cute little head for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaelyn, you are so cute and incredibly brave! We wish you well! You don't know us, but i found your blog through my dad who I think works with your sister here in Logan. We wish you all the best and pray for you and your family!

    Megan Bunker

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a little trooper. She looks cute with that bald head:). We hope all continues to go well.

    Lorash's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a champ, what a cute little personality that continues to make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She makes me so happy! What a perfect Little girl. So strong despite all of this. I love how she is so excited for her new "hair" :) She sure does pull it off well! So glad her first experience in public was a success. Hope it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her :) what a special little thing. I think about you guys all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't love the title more! So so fitting! You are such an incredible writer Chels!

    ReplyDelete