6.10.2012

Back in Billings


I haven't done much updating because life has seemed to slow down and normalize since being in the hospital.  Not much has been going on besides unpacking and recovering from surgery.  Kaelyn has continued to do well, but occasionally complains that her tummy hurts.  She is walking more and more, and even climbing a little, though she is still very cautious and slow.  I am very pleased to report, though, that she has gained a little weight back and she looks healthy again.  Kaelyn lost about 4 pounds in the hospital (a lot for a little tyke!).  I'm not really sure how much of that was the tumor versus actual weight lost from not eating.  Nonetheless she has been eating like a teenage boy, or similar to her brother Isaac, and is gaining it back.

 Here Kaelyn has snagged Isaac's snack and is studying cloud shapes.

 
Playing outside Grandma Lesli's house.  You may have a better understanding of 
how Kaelyn is eating as you view this picture of her brother Isaac.

Life has been a little different from before we found out about the tumor (Aside from the surgery and cancer!).  Kaelyn's mood seems to have changed a bit.  She wants to be held more, she seems more shy around others, and, well, she just wants mom a lot of the time.  I don't know if this is in relation to her pain or something else.  I know in the hospital they talked a little bit about how these types of experiences can change a child.  They can affect their personality and even cause depression.  I am not about to jump to any conclusions.  For now I am thinking it is in relation to recovery from her surgery, but it does worry me a little and makes me feel the need to step up as a parent to try to help Kaelyn understand what is going on and that everything is going to be OK.  I have found that very hard though.  I am sure that I am underestimating Kaelyn's capability to understand things.  It just seems that she has no idea what is going on.  I would welcome any advice on how to help her better understand her situation.  The good thing, though, is so far she seems to be going along with everything very well.

 
 
 We came home to all of this on Wednesday! We are so lucky
to have made wonderful friends here in Billings. Thank you friends!

While Kaelyn was in the hospital, she had a catheter.  Now Kaelyn had finally achieved potty training about 10 days before all of this happened.  That achievement has gone "down the drain," if you will.  The first few days after Kaelyn was out of the hospital I kept thinking about how annoying it was going to be to go through the whole potty training cycle again.  Kaelyn was so resistant to it the first time, and I was sure she would follow the same pattern.  I have to remember what one of the nurses said in the hospital though:  "Potty training is overrated."  Of course, he was joking when he said this, but the more I've thought about it I've realized it truly is in the grand scheme of things.  When life is going great, it is easy to put focus on unimportant things.  Not that potty training isn't important.  It just seems that when it is a parent's main concern, it's importance is blown out of proportion.  Does that make sense?  The more I've thought about this I've realized how grateful I should be that potty training is even an option in Kaelyn's life.  Having spent time at Primary Children's Hospital, and knowing many children with various illnesses, I have seen that potty training may never be something that occurs in the lives of some children.  I recently complained out loud about having to go through the process of potty training again to the mother of a child with a rare neurological disorder.  Now, I'm not sure if her child is potty trained, but I doubt it knowing what I know about the disease.  I immediately felt like a big idiot and realized how trivial my worry was.  I hope that through these experiences I will continue to learn to be grateful for the little things in life and become more aware of the struggles of those around me.  Everyone is struggling with something and I pray that I can always remember that and be grateful for my circumstances.

My husband recently made a few of these signs.  I love this quote.
 
As of now we are T minus 6 days and counting until we begin chemotherapy treatments.  I still don't know a lot about what Kaelyn's side effects will be, or what we need to do to prepare, but I hope to know more on Monday.  I have high hopes for this girl.  One really high hope is that chemo will bring Kaelyn a love of fruit. Ha! I have no clue why she does not like ANY variety of fruit, but I have heard taste preferences often change during chemotherapy, so here's to hoping!

5 comments:

  1. i like your way of looking at things! ... especially hoping that chemo will help Kaelyn like fruit! :) love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that she is doing so well. You are such a great mom Chelsey. Kaelyn is lucky to have you. And your husband is so talented. I completely agree with you about the whole potty training thing and I actually really like what that nurse said. Sometimes I feel like parents make it a competition about whose child can potty train first or fastest....and it really is overrated. I remember being SO anxious to potty train Peyton, but while we were going through the process I kept asking myself why I was rushing this stage in her life? I am sorry that you have to go through that again though...no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeay for being home and having a 'normal' week! I wish I had something good to pass along about helping Kaelyn cope but I don't and all I know is that she is one lucky girl to have you as her mom! One thing that does comfort me when I go through times where I don't know what to do as a parent is remembering that Heavenly Father loves her more than we can comprehend and if you seek His help, He will always help you figure out exactly what her individual needs are. And that is definitely easier said than done but you are an amazing mommy Chels. I really look up to you! You'll all continue to be in my prayers with the start of chemo this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelsey, you dont know me but we have a mutual friend, Amber Hogg. My name is Mindy Royce and my son Kace went through this same type of cancer 3 years ago. He was 2 almost 3 at the time. We had no clue that anything was wrong with him until one night my oldest son accidentally dropped him on his stomach. About an hour later Kace started throwing up and peeing blood. We called 911 and after getting him to the ER, they discovered the Wilm's Tumor. It was the size of a cantalope and had over taken his right kidney. The tumor was starting to attach itself to his lungs. He had stage 4 cancer. They rushed him in for surgery early the next morning to remove his right kidney & tumor. He went through 8 days of radiation (for the spots on his lungs) and 6 months of chemo. They gave him an 85% survival rate. He is now almost 6 years old and has been cancer free for 2 1/2 years. We had 5 kids at the time, my youngest was 6mo & still nursing, my husband was 3 weeks away from graduating from Dental School and finishing up his finals & pre-reqs, we had to be out of our rental & were suppose to be moving across the country, and our health insurance was going to be changing. We felt like our lives were crumbling. But at the same time we felt so blessed that we found it when we did. Things could have been much worse. My heart hurts for your daughter and for your family but I know that if we can get through all of the craziness that came along with Kace's ordeal, you guys will too. You sound like an amazingly stong person and a great mother. Your family will grow so much from all of this. I remember feeling very overwhelmed & helpless as a mother, but you just have to take it day by day. I could go on and on about this and about the chemo treatments and whats to come, its been our life for 3 years and will continue to be for a long time. If you ever have any questions or need anything I would be glad to help in anyway I can. My email is mindyroyce@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelsey, you are such an amazing mom and person, particularly because you are able to find positivity in an extrememly challenging situation. Your children are so beautiful and so lucky to have you. Prayers from New Jersey for Kaelyn, who has been such a blessing since the moment she was created and brought a beautiful change to your life.

    ReplyDelete