6.25.2012

No News is Good News

That is the case for us this week!  Forgive me for not updating, but there hasn't been too much to update on, which is great.  As I mentioned in my last post, Kaelyn had a little trouble with nausea and vomiting following her first round of treatment.  That was not the case with the second round she received Friday.  I hadn't realized this at first, but only 1 of the 2 drugs will make her nauseated, and she only gets that drug (dactinomycin) every 4 weeks.  So that is a plus!  So as for the drug she is receiving now, I don't think we've seen much in side effects.  I'm not entirely sure though, because it is hard to tell what may be normal for Kaelyn and what the drug may be causing, especially as far as her mood goes.  She has been so SO needy!  Needy, whiny, and moody.  Don't get me wrong, I love the girl, but there are only a few rare moments in the day where she isn't wanting me to hold her.  It's hard to know if it is a 3 year-old thing, or a reaction to the past month's events, or just feeling different with the drugs in her system.  With those things in mind, I am not exactly sure how to respond.  Most of the time I give in and hold her, though I try to give her other options of things to do.  She will usually opt to be held, or to be held AND do whatever activity I bring up!

This past Sunday was the first since before her surgery that she has attended and made it through nursery (2 hours of play at church with other kids under 3).  She is OK to go to nursery since her blood counts are usually unaffected by the drugs she is on.  Anyway, it was nice that she was able to take her mind off other things and just enjoy playing with friends.  I am so grateful that she has the option to do so while on chemo.  Every day I think how thankful I am that she can be outside in her new sand pile, or playing in the water, or going to the park with friends.  So far she has been able to live a normal Kaelyn life.  I know that isn't the case for a lot of patients on chemotherapy.  I also know that things can change very quickly.  The longer she is on chemo the worse it is expected to get, so I am prepared for that, but again we have been so blessed.

 This guy loves the swings!

 Oasis - overpriced.  But Kaelyn's happiness was priceless!

 These 2 could have stayed here all day.

Tomorrow is Kaelyn's 3rd birthday.  We have had family here visiting the past 2 weekends so Kaelyn has pretty much been celebrating this birthday for 2 weeks!  Her one request is chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting.  I'll be sure to post some birthday pics.

Again, thanks to everyone following up on Kaelyn.  Right now she is doing great and we are enjoying this time while we have it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh good, I'm glad to hear she's doing so well as far as side effects and everything :) Happy Birthday tomorrow sweet girl!! I think of you guys often!!

    ReplyDelete