6.01.2012

Champion

Last night Kaelyn's grandpa Ernie spent the night in her hospital room with her again since he has not been able to be here because of work and church things.  Brock and I were able to get a solid 5 hours of sleep in the hotel, which is better than interrupted, uncomfortable sleep at the hospital!

I was really nervous to leave Kaelyn with my dad last night because she had not successfully taken any pain medication since the epidural was removed and seemed to be in quite a bit of pain unless she remained completely still.  She ended up falling asleep pretty close to 11.  That's when we headed for the hotel and left my dad to fend for himself.  When we returned this morning we found out she had woken up twice in the night while they were doing her vital signs.  Both times she cried for a couple of minutes but went right back to sleep.  The rest of today has been pretty great.  She is in some pain, but she handles it really well.  I guess she will not be taking any pain medicine since she refuses, but I'm okay with that as long as she can handle it. This just confirms my beliefs of her always being a tough girl!


 Again, the doctors have been very impressed with her handling the pain, her eating and drinking, and her walking around and playing.  She is our little champ.  Our goal was to be discharged today and to have her pain in control enough to be able to visit the zoo.  Mission accomplished!  They are currently in the process of discharging her and we are planning to hit up the zoo tonight.  I am completely amazed about how things have gone.  I was so worried last night because I was convinced she would refuse to take her medicine, no matter how bad the pain got.  I never even thought of the possibility of her being able to handle the pain without medication. 

 
 We're gonna miss this hair!

It looks like we will be hanging out in Morgan over the weekend until we think Kaelyn is healed enough to make the long drive back to Billings.  The oncologist here is pretty sure we can take care of all her treatment in Billings.  If that is the case we will probably head back early next week.


Visits from Isaac

The next preparations are for chemotherapy.  It makes me sick reading about the precautions I have to take for myself and my family because the medication is in Kaelyn's system!  Things like handling her soiled laundry with gloves, washing the laundry twice, and avoiding all of her body fluids.  It is disturbing that we will be filling her body with such things, but it is really our only option, and we know that everything will be OK.  Many have been through it before and have been OK.  I am confident there will be a much safer remedy in the future, but we have to deal with this now, and this is how to deal with it!

We're looking forward to our last week or so until chemo.  Hopefully we can squeeze in some fun activities!

7 comments:

  1. She is a champion!! And what a cute girl too. I love the pig tail pict. So sweet!! I'm glad you get to go to the zoo :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is such a beautiful girl Chelsey. I am so happy that she was able to be discharged and that you get to go to the zoo! Yay!! She is one tough little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I did not realize all the work that went with chemo! Glad she was able to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I hope the zoo is amazing! The video of her drinking the chocolate milk is so funny! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you guys get to go to the zoo. I sent a package yesterday so hopefully it gets to you guys before you come back, but I'm glad you guys get to come home so soon. Will you guys be needing any meals or help around the house? Let me know what you guys need and when maybe we can get some things coordinated in the ward. : ) Have fun at the zoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeay for the zoo! It'll be such a fun night! She is my hero!! Wow, no pain meds... that's amazing! She will continue to be watched over throughout all of this!

    ReplyDelete