5.30.2012

Blue Cookies

Last night was glorious.  My parent got us a room in a hotel about a block from here, and I don't think I've ever slept so deeply!  Isaac was with my mom in Morgan and my dad stayed at the hospital with Kaelyn.  And that bed was so comfy.  I can't stop thinking about it!  Haha.  Kaelyn slept through the night again, which is great.  I keep worrying she will wake up in pain, but so far we haven't had to worry about too much pain, thanks to the epidural.  I'm worried about switching to oral pain medications, whether they will work as well, or whether or not she will take them.  That is too worry about for another day though.  Today's focus is again on getting Kaelyn to drink fluid.  Yesterday she was OK'd to have sips of clear fluid, and today has moved up to clear fluids.  She has been pretty reluctant to drink anything, though, because she wants food!  My dad said she was saying "blue" in her sleep last night.  All day yesterday she was asking for a blue cookie.  I don't know where this blue cookie came from (I'm wondering if it might be the blue Oreo packaging??) but by golly when she can eat she'll get all the blue cookies she wants!  I think blue cookies do have some kind of cancer-fighting qualities anyway.

Kaelyn is supposed to be walking 4 X a day.  We are just about to head out for our 2nd walk.  She has done really well with this.  She never wants to stand up, but once she is up she doesn't have a problem. 

We met with the surgeon this morning and he said we should have the results of the pathology report by tomorrow.  We are pretty much waiting on that little report to answer all of our lingering questions!  So we will be very excited when those results come in.

Again, the surgical team came in this morning and is very pleased with how well Kaelyn's is doing.  They removed the bandage over her incision today and it didn't bother her so the left it off.  It's about 7 or 8 inches across her upper belly, starting from her left side and ending just past her belly button on the right side.

Sometimes I worry I over do it on the pictures, but I've had complaints of not enough so the remainder of this blog post will be dedicated just to that!

 Grandpa Ernie hiding from Kaelyn.



 A view of Rae's hookups.  They actually took out her IV since they have her port for medications, so she's down 1 today!


 This morning's walk... or ride.


We love this girl so much.  It's been nice to spend some one-on-one time with her, and to watch how well she is enduring all of this.  She asks for food all the time, but quickly gets over the fact that she can't have any.  I certainly would be behaving much differently if I had to go for days without food!  Looking through these pictures, it looks like we have lots more fun here than at home!  Kaelyn can make lots of messes and someone else will clean up after her.  That's one of my favorite parts.  :)

I will continue to update when more info comes in, but we're pretty much on repeat until that pathology lab comes back.

7 comments:

  1. Chels, I don't even know how she is keeping those IVs in and not yanking out all of her lines. What a tropper! Love love love all of the pics! So glad she is doing so well. I love that you are posting about all of this. I hope you get another good nights rest tonight! Loves to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's looking good! : ) I'm glad that she is getting to have fun! When I was looking at the pictures I was thinking that we don't do stuff like that at home and that maybe we should, but then I read further and it would probably be more appealing to me to do that kind of stuff if I didn't have to clean it up. : ) Have fun and hopefully you can get another good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could still use even MORE pics.. You couldn't over do it, I'm pretty sure! Thanks for updating us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so adorable. So nice that she is in good spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man she is so stinking CUTE! I can't believe we are not there visiting her :( I am so glad she is doing so well. You guys are amazing! Glad you were able to get some much needed rest. I hope she can eat blue cookies by Friday!?! There may or may not be some on their way. However, I didn't think about oreos being blue cookies! Hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh and Sara AlzheimerMay 31, 2012 at 9:27 PM

    Her smile is so beautiful. I can tell from the pictures that she is an amazing little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never too many pictures! What a sweet Grandpa she has :) Among the rest of the family....for staying with her in the hospital so you two could get some much needed ALL night sleep! Hope that ties you over for a while ;) Hopefully she'll remember all the fun things she does there, and forget the painful ones.

    ReplyDelete