5.29.2012

Hospital Stay Day 2

Kaelyn has continued to do well since her surgery yesterday.  She was probably only awake for a total of 3 hours following her surgery yesterday.  She mostly just shook her head yes and no to answer and questions, and flashed several smiles.  A little while before she fell asleep, she said her first word since surgery:  "Hamburger."  I have no idea why she said hamburger when she has never really had an actual hamburger, but at the same time it broke my heart a little because it was such a simple request that she totally deserved but she is not allowed to eat or drink yet.  Such a bummer.  She took it well though, and luckily was back to sleep and slept through the night.  It has been a little more difficult today to take her mind off food.  They finally agreed to let her have sips of water.  She is not allowed to eat or drink anything because her bowels were put under a lot of stress during surgery.  They were moved out in order to remove the tumor, and it can take them a couple of days to get back to normal.  We are all hoping for farts and poops here, pardon my french.  When she starts making that kind of progress we can work towards eating.

Rae (that's her middle name) has been doing well in every aspect and has really surprised me.  Around 10 o'clock today we asked if she would like to go for a walk and she said yes.  It was a little difficult to start.  She was taking tiny steps and complaining of some pain, but once she realized she could do it we were having trouble keeping up behind her with her IVs and such.  We walked about 400 ft to an outdoor patio with lots of fun toys for kids.  Kaelyn laughed and smiled and had lots of fun with the bubbles out there.  She was a little tired after that so she rode the wagon back to her room.



The hardest part today has been trying to convince Kaelyn to wait for food.  We have yet to hear from the doctors today but when I do I will update everyone.  For now, though, it's nap time :)



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates! We love that little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and got all teary eyed reading this post. She is such a cutie. I cant help but love her and I havent even met her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! that is sad/cute that she said Hamburger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a little sweetie pie! We hope and pray she gets back to feeling normal again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the updates. Hang in there. I am sure that it is painful on your body too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was blog stalking and came upon your blog. I am so glad to hear your little angel is doing well. My heart goes out to you and your family for having to go through this trial. You are so positive and that makes the world of difference. As my dad is going through his chemo I am amazed how he stays positive and just keeps fighting. I know that is how he got through it the first time and I know that is what will help him through it again. Stay positive and know that you and your family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josh and Sara AlzheimerMay 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

    Josh and I just found out about your little girl last night. We wanted to let you know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending many thoughts and prayers from Seattle. Love you guys. I love reading the blog and getting the updates. Kaelyn is such a trooper! Such a brave and beautiful girl. Praying that food and blue cookies are on there way...

    ReplyDelete