5.22.2012

The C Word

It's time to turn over a new leaf and keep my family and friends updated, especially now that I have something to update about!

Today was quite the eventful day.  See below:


Today we had a planned recheck with Kaelyn's primary doctor.  I took her in a couple of weeks ago because she had a prolonged fever and suspicious cough.  We left with the answer that it was a virus, so there wasn't really anything we could do.  The doctor did, however, find a suspicious mass on her left side.  In order to rule out stool causing the lump, he asked that we follow up in 2 weeks.

Here we are, 2 weeks later.  The last few days Kaelyn has had fevers, again, this time associated with pain in her left side, just below her ribs.  When we took her in for her recheck, the doc asked us to go to the ER because of her acute pain in the abdomen.  Of course it was a nice long 4 hour visit in the ER!  After some tests, Kaelyn's doctor decided the pain was being caused by a bladder infection and was sending us home with an antibiotic, and would have us check up with the primary doc the next day.  Brock and I were not satisfied with this answer!  We both had gut feelings that this was something more, and me, Mrs. NOT-assertive, asked the doctor to do an ultrasound because we weren't comfortable leaving (proud moment for me:)).  He obliged, and we found out about 15 minutes later that she has a tumor in her kidney.  More specifically, a Wilm's tumor.  I don't think the news hit me until the doctor used the infamous term "cancer."  Whaaaa??  At the same time though, I have felt this coming.  I knew some big bad thing was coming to get us, I'm just glad it's finally here and I don't have to worry about what the mystery is.  We can start working on getting through it now, one day at a time of course.

We head for Primary Children's early tomorrow morning so we can get there in time for a CAT scan.  I was surprised how fast things were getting started, but I'm also so happy I don't have to wait around for them to start.  I am kind of surprised how blessed I've felt through this whole day, as opposed to a doom and gloom feeling.  Oddly enough it's almost seemed to be a positive day.  Granted, tears were shed and sad thoughts were thunk!  But I have just felt an increased measure of love for my family, my Savior, the gospel, friends, and all the little things in life.

We would be so grateful for all prayers in Kaelyn's behalf.  I will do my best to change my ways and become an avid blogger for those of you who care.  I love you friends and family.  Until next time,


12 comments:

  1. I hate the C word! And especially now! Kaelyn is such a strong little girl and I know so many people are praying for her and you and Brock! We love her so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels, amist all of this news about the C word... you still manage to put a smile on my face with your positive attitude and your cute humor. I have to say it is killing me we can't be there with you guys. But we will be praying our hearts out instead. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of you Chelsey, Kaelyn is so blessed to you have you and Brock as parents. Kaelyn and your family will constantly be in your prayers, you have offered so many prayers in my behalf that I am grateful to be able to return the favor. We love you guys, drive safe today, we will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you guys!! I am so sorry the big bad C word has had to hit so close to home in your family :( I agree with Crystal, You have such a positive attitude about it...And she is so lucky to have such great parents! Definitely praying for you all! Good luck Kaelyn! What a blessing to have Primary Children's so close to your family. Will be thinking about you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is scary!! Poor Kaelyn..and poor mommy and daddy! I will be keeping you all in my prayers! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously sending the most amount of good vibes you could ever imagine! Now that Ronae and Jon aren't here to update us on every little text, I am thankful for this blog! Hoping for smooth sailing with each day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it breaks my heart just thinking about it! You all will be in our thoughts and prayers!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom just told me about Kaelyn last night:( So scary for you guys! My prayers are with you and Brock and your sweet little family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a humbling experience. Isn't it amazing how the spirit prepares you for things like this, hart times. Even though they are still tough, it is great to have the spirit to help prepare your heart. Thanks for the blog invite. I am anxious to hear how things go. Way to be assertive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so strong! I think this is one of my biggest fears, but reading your blog and seeing how positive you are being is such an inspiration to me. I am sorry that you guys are going through this but grateful that you have such a great perspective. We will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being non assertive myself I am very very proud of you for being Rae's advocate. Keep fighting for her. We love you and would do anything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness Chelsey! I am so sad to hear this. I am glad that you have so much faith, the Savior really can pull us through. You will be in our prayers. Keep me posted, I would like to help you out in any way that I can. Good job on being assertive! : ) I am also the exact opposite of assertive, but when it comes to your children somehow the strength to speak up comes.

    ReplyDelete