5.28.2012

Post-Op

I am very happy to report that the surgery is over and went well!!  Thanks to everyone's prayers and the skilled docs and nurses.  Kaelyn was in surgery for about 5 1/2 hours today.  They removed the tumor without any problems, and the surgeon reported it to be about the size of a canteloupe, which was a bit larger than we expected.  It's hard to imagine something that large in the abdomen of an almost 3 year-old.  She is such a trooper though.  The doctors (and we) have been pleasantly surprised how well she has taken everything.  They had a room prepared for her in the pediatric ICU, but she has done well enough to not have to stay there.  Also, they said she was smiling when she woke up from surgery.  I surely wouldn't be smiling!  She has been asleep for the most part of the 2 hours we have been with her, which I am happy about.  I don't want her to be in pain, which I'm sure is probably inevitable but I am fine without for as long as possible!


I just love this girl.  I know I've said it before, but this whole experience has not felt as sad as I would have imagined it to be.  I mean, I do not like to see her in pain, of course, and I do not look forward to the chemotherapy and other uncomfortable treatments and side effects she will have to go through, but really it has just opened my eyes to how very blessed we are to have Kaelyn, that she is still in good health, that we get to keep her here with us, and also the eternal perspective the gospel gives that no matter what happens, her body will be restored and we will always be together.  This has also helped me to understand faith so much more, and to feel of it's power.  Kaelyn has inspired me to have this faith, as I know how much the Lord loves and cares for her.  I will be forever grateful to have had the opportunity to have my little family unit and the trials that have brought us closer together thus far.

Isn't she cute though?!

10 comments:

  1. I am SO glad that she is doing well and that everything went so good. My little girl is about the same age as Kaelyn and it is definitely crazy to think about a tumor the size of a cantelope being in that small of a body! Thanks for keeping us all updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I have had the feeling to call you guys all last week (which I ignored...good friend huh) and I checked your blog this morning and couldn't believe what I was reading. Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for her. Give the cutie loves for us and if you guys need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the surgery is over and went well!! She is SO sweet!! I hope the next news you receive will be good... that hopefully it hasn't spread and it's gone for good!! You are such a strength to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear it went well, she is a trooper! And, yes very cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's beautiful! and so glad all went well.. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad everything went well! You and Brock and Kaelyn are SO STRONG! Sending prayers of fast recovery and continued strength your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet girl! She is one of the cutest girls I know. I am so glad it went well. Chelsey you are amazing! I can't believe how strong you are. I feel so happy to know how the spirit has just given you so much peace and comfort right now. I wish we could be there to support you guys. Please remember we love you and that we are praying for you. Give Kaelyn big hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to hear that it went well! It's kind of amazing how strong little kids are. They are so pure and full of hope and faith. It seems like the fear that we can't handle something comes as we get older. We will keep praying for you guys. I'm glad that you all had a fun weekend and delicious cake for kidney's farewell party. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad everything went well! I can't believe the tumor was that big! We'll keep you in our prayers and please let me know if I can do anything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad everything went well. I have been thinking about your family all weekend. It sounds like kaelynis quite the little trooper:).

    Lorash's

    ReplyDelete