5.25.2012

Farewell, Old Friend

Well, this will be Kaelyn's last weekend with 2 kidneys.  Monday we will be bidding adieu to Kidney 2.  I'm hoping to have a little farewell party for him this weekend.  I'm not sure how many organs are properly sent off in these situations.  I want Kidney 2 to know we appreciate all he has done for our sweet Kaelyn.  It was there through diaper sizes newborn to 4, and even got her through the potty training milestone.  I like to think it was present for some of the most important kidney achievements in life.

Kaelyn has her big surgery on Monday, Memorial Day, scheduled at 8 a.m.  We were told she could potentially be in the ICU depending on how she does.  So far she has proved to be a fighter, from kicking the nurses trying to take her blood to beating the sedation for the CT scan and needed a second dose.  The surgeon said to expect about a week in the hospital to recover from the surgery.  A few days from the surgery we should finally be able to find out the official diagnosis, stage, and prognosis, as well as the type and duration of chemotherapy.

For Kaelyn's last weekend of freedom for a little while we are going to the airshow at Hill Air Force Base tomorrow.

Today we were scheduled for an ultrasound to make sure the tumor has not spread into any blood vessels, and to make sure everything looks OK before surgery.  And everything did look good.  It is so weird to see how large the tumor is.  It really just baffles me!  Have a look.  This is a view of the CT scan from Thursday:

 

Happily today Kaelyn has had a lot more energy compared to the last few days.  I'm glad she's able to enjoy these few days with family before her surgery.

Once again, I am so grateful for the way things have gone with this whole thing.  From Kaelyn's primary physician finding the lump, to being sent to Primary's and having family near.  There are so many little tender mercies that I cannot even name them all.  Thank you to everyone who has offered prayers and help in many other ways.  We love you all!

11 comments:

  1. Chels, I love you girl! Kaelyn is also one of my fav girls and I'm prayin hard for you guys! Maybe serve lemonade at your organ farewell? Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea to make it a farewell party, you are so creative! Have fun at the air show :) and as always you'll be thought of and prayed for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a tough girl, I love it!! We have been praying for her and you guys lots! I've appreciated your blog updates and what I've heard from Fay too, so thanks, I have been so anxious to hear about this sweet girl. Im glad you're giving her kidney the proper respect it deserves! Holy cow that ultrasound pic was amazing. Poor thing!!

    Oh, we will be at primarys on Thursday for Bentley's checkup, maybe if you guys are up for a visit we can stop by and see you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you chelsey and your lil family. Kaelyn is so beautiful and sweet and tough. I am glad she is a tough lil fella. It makes me happy that she is trying to fight people. :) .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our prayers will be with Kaelyn, Kaelyn's kidney, and family. My husband is at the Air Show today too. I hope the kids enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you're having a farewell party! That ultrasound is amazing! We'll continue to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....this is the first I've heard about Kaelyn! She sounds tough though and we will certainly be keeping her and you guys in our prayers as well! Adios kidney number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsey,
    I wanted to send Kaelyn something and I was wondering what address to send it to. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will be sending all the good vibes that I can your way tomorrow. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are thinking of you and praying for your cute little family. Best of luck tomorrow Kaelyn. We will be thinking if you and wishing you well
    The lorash's

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to see the positive in all of this. I'm sure it is hard some days, but it is so great to read your post and to feel the spirit and hope that you carry. Hope all goes well. Thanks for keep the blog updated!

    ReplyDelete